2022 Ski to the Sun Marathon and Relay
Sponsors of the 2022 Ski to the Sun Marathon and Relay
Ski to the Sun Event Sponsors:
We are proud to be a part of:
Join Methow Trails and the Methow Valley Nordic Ski Education Foundation February 12th for the fourth annual Ski to the Sun Marathon and Relay. The course travels through North America's largest ski trail network and takes skiers from the tranquil banks of the Methow River to the beautiful mountain vistas at Sun Mountain Lodge. Ski the marathon as an individual or as a relay with up to 5 other friends or family members (details below). The race is freestyle technique - racers are welcome to skate or classic ski and results will be determined by overall time in individual and relay divisions. You'll enjoy food, festivities, and fun along the way!
Marathon (No Field Limit) - The Ski to the Sun Marathon is a challenging course that features some of ths most spectacular sections of our trail system. Racers warm up with a fast-paced ski on the valley floor and end with an exhilarating climb to the top of Sun Mountain, where 360-degree vistas and delicious, hot food await.
- Distance: 42 Km
- Elevation Start: 2,210'
- Elevation End: 2,680'
- Total Elevation Gain: +1,932
- Total Elevation Loss: -1,040'
- Team Relay - Field Limit 225 Participants
- Free (Skate)
- Para Nordic Sit Ski (Legs 1 & 2)
Team Relay (Field Limit 225 Participants) - Inspired by our popular Sunflower event, the Ski to the Sun Relay encourages skiers of all ages and abilities to join in the festivities! This stunning course is divided into 6 different sections with 2-6 skiers per team. Skiers are welcome to skate or classic, but awards will be based on overall time (no skate and classic divisions). A summary of each leg is listed below. A more detailed description can be found HERE.
- LEG 1 - Inn Run Loop
- Kid/Beginner Skier - 0.7km
- LEG 2 - Mazama to Goat Creek Road
- Beginner Skier - 4.8 km
- LEG 3 Goat Creek Road to Browns Farm
- Intermediate Skier - 7.2 km
- LEG 4 Browns Farm to Wolf Ridge Resort
- Intermediate/Advanced Skier - 11.7 km
- LEg 5 Wolf Ridge Resort to Chickadee Trailhead
- Intermediate/Advanced Skier - 11.3 km
- LEG 6 - Chickadee Trailhead to Sun Mountain Lodge
- Beginner/Intermediate Skier - 5.2 km
Exchanges - There are 5 Exchange Stations with water, sports drink, and gel. There will also be food (chips, bagels and cream cheese, oranges, oreos, etc.), fire pits and music at Exchanges 3 (Browns Farm), 4 (Wolf Ridge), and 5 (Chickadee Trailhead).
Packet Pick-Up - Packet pick up will be located at Winthrop Mountain Sports on Friday, February 5th from 4:00-6:00 pm. We encourage all racers to try and make this pick-up time. There will be a late packet pick up Saturday morning at the Mazama Ranch House Waxing Hut (near the start line) from 7:15-7:45 am.
Transportation - Shuttles will transport racers from the finish line at Sun Mountain back to the Corral Trailhead in Mazama. A complete shuttle schedule can be found HERE
- 8:30 am - Marathon Classic at Mazama Corral Trailhead
- 8:45-8:55 am - Marathon Free (Skate) & Relay at Mazama Corral Trailhead
- 12:00 pm - Wolf Ridge Cutoff Time
- 11:00-2:30pm - Lunch and Awards at Finish Line Tent at Sun Mountain
- 2:30 pm - Finish Line Cutoff Time
Lunch and Post Race Party - Race registration includes hot drinks, delicious soup, fresh bread, and dessert from Willowbrook Farms. Food will be served at the Finish Line Tent and is for racers only. Please bring a picnic lunch for family members or spectators. NO DOGS ALLOWED ON THE COURSE OR FINISH LINE VENUE.
Dinner Celebration and Awards Ceremony - We are hosting a dinner and social gathering at the Winthrop Barn on Saturday evening. Join us for a fun evening that celebrates the day with tasty food, local craft beer and wine, a race photo slideshow, and awards ceremony/raffle. The post-race dinner will be on a first come basis. Dinner tickets are $10 for participants, $20 for guests (limit 1 additional ticket per racer). Any leftover tickets will be available for purchase once registration closes.
REGISTRATION - Marathon/RelayTeam Member
- By Dec 1 - $85/60
- By Jan 1 - $95/65
- By Feb 1 - $105/70 RELAY DEADLINE!
- By Feb 4 - $155/Relay Closed
- Kids 17 and under are FREE but must register (includes signing online waiver) on time to participate.
- Entry fee includes race bib, participant packet, custom Ski to the Sun Buff, post-race lunch, and awards.
- Dinner ticket must be purchased and will be on a first come basis.
- No day of registration.
- No refunds or registration transfers after January 15th, 2021. $15 refund/transfer fee prior to January 15th.
Methow Trails and Methow Valley Nordic SEF are non-profit organizations. Income from this event supports year-round trail operations and Nordic ski programming in the Methow Valley. There are no entry refunds, exchanges, transfers or rollovers, and the event may be cancelled due to variables beyond our control; severe weather conditions, fire, unhealthy air quality, road closures, natural disasters, or other unforseeable events.
- Race Start – From Winthrop, follow Highway 20 northwest 13 miles. Turn right at the Mazama Junction and proceed straight through the T-intersection. Turn right into the Corral Trailhead Parking Lot.
- Race Finish - From Mazama head southeast on Highway 20 towards Winthrop. Cross a bridge and turn right at the 4-way stop in town. Proceed through town approximately 1-mile. The road then curves to the right, crossing another bridge across the Methow River, and immediately after crossing the bridge the road will “Y”-turn right onto Twin Lakes Road. Follow this road for 3.2 miles to Patterson Lake Road, and follow the signs 6.4 miles to Sun Mountain.