2022 Sunflower Trail Marathon, 1/2 Marathon & Relay
Sponsors of the 2022 Sunflower Marathon and Relay-
Saturday April 30th, 2022
41st Annual Event
Title Sponsor: Goat's Beard Mountain Supplies
This unique course begins at 2180 feet elevation in Mazama and includes well marked deer trails, single track trails, and gravel roads. Stunning views of the Methow River, North Cascades and Chelan Sawtooths abound from flower carpeted meadows and fields. At two points, racers climb to 2600 feet. The finish is at about 1600 feet in Twisp. This course traverses private property that owners generously allow use for this one-day only. Please do not pre-run the course prior to or after the event. Because of the presence of livestock, no dogs at start or finish lines, or on the course please.
The Marathon course is a marathon-plus length at 26.8 miles. Expect breathtaking scenery and some sustained climbs and descents.
A Half Marathon option begins at Sun Mountain Chickadee Trailhead and ends at the same Twisp finish line as other event options. The course is moderate in difficulty with some sustained climbs and descents. Total length is just over 1/2 marathon length.
- A marathon participant runs the entire course. Marathon participants are expected to run the majority of course, not walk or hike. Out of respect for our volunteers and private landowners, marathon runners and teams must be able to complete the entire course in 6 hours - by 2:00pm.
- Half Marathon participants are expected to be able to finish their ~13.1 mile course in 5 hours or less - between 2:00pm.
- A relay team must have 2-5 people, and finish by 2:00pm.
Team Relay Leg Descriptions:
Leg 1 - 2.2 miles, easy - would be good for younger or beginner runner
Leg 2 - 5.6 miles, easy - flat
Leg 3 - 5.9 miles, moderate w/ hills
Leg 4 - 6.5 miles, moderate w/ a steep climb
Leg 5 - 6.6 difficult - strong runner required
Start Times: Please note that start times have changed from past years.
- 8:00-8:15 - Rolling start at Mazama TH
- If you are competing for any of the top 3 places in your age category, please start at 8:00 am
- Shuttle times below
- 8:15-9:15 - Rolling start at Mazama TH
- This will be a rolling start where teams are asked to show up at their designated start time to help alleviate congestion along the course.
- Team captains will be asked to chose a wave assignment at registration.
- Half Marathon
- 8:00-9:15 am - Rolling start atChickadee TH
- If you are competing for any of the top 3 places in your age group, please start at 8:00 am.
- Shuttle times below
*No refunds, credits or registration transfers after March 25, 2021. $15 refund/transfer fee prior to March 25. If you are having any registration difficulties, please click here.
*Race entries are valid for the registered racer only, no informal transfers please.
*Entry fee includes race bib, custom Sunflower t-shirt (for registrations before March 25), post-race lunch, and awards.
*** Methow Trails is a non-profit organization. Income from this event supports year-round trail operations in the Methow Valley. There are no entry refunds, exchanges, transfers or rollovers, and the event may be cancelled due to variables beyond our control: severe weather conditions, fire, unhealthy air quality, road closures, natural disasters, or other unforeseeable events.
Packet Pick-Up - Details to come.
Map: We do not provide a detailed map to respect the privacy of the landowners who allow one-day access through their property and make this event possible. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-RUN THE COURSE, we only have landowner access on event day! No dogs are allowed on the course at anytime. Relay teams will be given specific driving directions to relay exhange points at race packet pick-up.
Exchange and Aid Stations - see map for exact locations
- Goat Creek Exchange- Exchange Only
- Hancock Springs Exchange - Full aid station with food and water.
- Wolf Creek Exchange- Full aid station with food and water
- Elbow Coulee Exchange - Full aid station with food and water
- Big Buck - Water and GU station.
Transportation - We are asking half and full marathon participants to sign up for the bus shuttle when they register so we can get a sense of how many people will require transportation. You will have the ability to change your answer as the event date approaches.
- 7:00 am Twisp Finish Line, arrives in Mazama at ~7:30 am
- Half Marathon
- 7:00 am Twisp Finish Line, arrives at Chickadee TH at ~7:30 am (if you are wanting to compete for the top 3 places in your age category, please sign up for this shuttle).
- 8:00 am Twisp Finish Line, arrives at Chickadee TH at ~8:30 am.
- Relay teams are responsible for arranging all transportation for exchange points. We recommend that you drop off Leg 2 runner at the first exchange prior to the race start. Please minimize the time you spend at each exchange, to help us manage impact to local residents.
Participants will receive a delicious lunch from Stewart Dietz Catering and 1 free beer from Old Schoolhouse Brewery.
NO DOGS ALLOWED ON THE RACE COURSE OR FINISH LINE VENUE
Awards and Divisions
Awards will be given to the top three overall male and female winners (Youth <18, Open 18-39, Masters 40-59, Seniors 60+) of the marathon and 1/2 marathon, as well as the top three teams.
Race Start - From Twisp, head northwest on Hwy 20 through Winthrop approximately 21 miles. Turn right at the Mazama Junction and proceed straight to the stop sign. Go straight through the intersection and turn right into the Corral Trailhead Parking Lot.
Race Finish- From Twisp head 1/8 mile northwest on Hwy 20, cross bridge over Twisp River, take a immediate left on Ainsworth and a right on Berger St. After .3 mile Berger St. veers left, becomes Peters St. and turns to dirt. Follow signs to the Sunflower parking area on the right. PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY through the neighborhood!
Results can be found at Negative Split Timing.